Greece - Karditsa

KARDITSA DISTRICT
Occupying the SW part of Thessaly it is a special area in the "heart" of Greece. It is the Prefecture of the three lakes, harmonically combining the water, the peaceful beauty of the immense Thessaly plain and the marvellous, diversified scenery of the Agrafa Mountains. In particular, N. Plastira Lake, located in these mountains is one of the most popular tourist destinations of the country.
Older evidence of human activity going back to the middle Palaeolithic age has been discovered in the area of the N. Plastira Lake. The traces of a more systematic and continuous habitation have been identified in several areas of the Prefecture and they date from the Neolithic Age to Historic Times (Sykeona, Prodromos, Ithomi, Itona, Arni-Kierion, Ktimeni-Aggeies, Kallithira, Mitropoli, Gomfi and others). The Dolopes and Athamanes were two of the ancient peoples that continuously inhabited the mountainous part of the Prefecture as neighbours. There is few evidence of the transformation of the above ancient settlements during Byzantine times. However, during the post-Byzantine period, the very important fortification of Fanari was created. During the Turkish occupation, the area had the same luck as the rest of Thessaly, was liberated in 1881, and incorporated into the Greek State.

CITY OF KARDITSA
The district’s capital is built close to a tributary of the Pinios river, at an ideal location for commercial communication between the plain and the mountain area (32,000 inhabitants). The city's history as a settlement spans approximately four centuries. Karditsa has spacious squares and a vast park with beautiful pedestrian paths; it also provides a wide network of urban and suburban bicycle paths (total length 14 km) giving visitors the choice to wander around the city on foot, or use a bike (the Municipality provides free hire of bicycles for transportation in the city centre). Its development started after liberation from the Turks in 1881. During the Second World War after the departure of the Italians in March 1943, Karditsa became the first freed city of Europe. It was then definitively liberated from the German troops in September 1944. It is located at a distance of 290 km NW of Athens and 215km SW of Thessaloniki.

** NOTE: We can request other Karditsa hotels not listed here if required ** 

  Region:
  Subpage: 
  Type:
  Listings:
  Price:  to 
      

DOMOTEL ARNI HOTEL

4, Karaiskaki Street, 43100 KARDITSA

With grand early 20th century architecture, this hotel is located in the centre of Karditsa and was used by German, Italian and Allied forces as headquarters during World War II.

Fully renovated in 2005, the hotel has maintained its

Rates Start From $99